This section provides a step-by-step description of how to get your
site(s) listed on our exchange.
Before you begin
Section 1: Become a free, confirmed member
Step 1: Join
If you haven't done so already, join WolfTraf from our
signup/join page. You will be
asked to put in your real name, a 'handle' (which will be shown if you are
on a toplist, for example), provide an email address, and a password.
Your email will never be distributed from our system, so please
use a real email address. We must be able to contact you both when
becoming a member, and to provide you with your weekly statistics. If
Also, if your email provider (or your ISP) has spam filtering or blocking
turned on, make sure you "white list" messages from firstname.lastname@example.org,
which is where you will receive email from.
Step 2: Confirm your email address
Once you've submitted your information, we will automatically send a
confirmation email to the email address you provided. That email will
contain a 'code', so we know you - the legitimate owner of that email
address - are the one who signed up.
If you didn't receive the confirmation email, you or your ISP may be
filtering us out, or we may have had a computer glitch. (This is the
internet, some mail does get lost). We can re-send your confirmation
email from this page.
Just re-enter the email address you signed up with, and we will send the
confirmation email to you again.
Click the link in the email, or paste the link into your browser, and you
should get a 'congratulations' screen. This will send out a 'welcome
to WolfTraf' message, confirming your id, handle, and password.
It's that simple... you're a confirmed member!
Section 2: Getting sites or banners listed on Wolf Traffic
Step 1: Log in
Once you have confirmed your email address, you can then log in to our
members' area. You can put your
email, handle, or ID number in the first field, and your password in the
If you wish, check the checkbox below the fields, and a copy of your user
id and password will be stored on a cookie on your browser. This way,
you don't have to remember your password every time you log on.
Step 2: Add your banner(s) and site(s)
Once you're logged in, go to the
Members/Your Ads selection, select the ad type, and scroll to the bottom of the page.
You will find a form there to enter new ads.
- Based on the page, you will be able to enter a site, banner, text ad or mini-banner
- Site: we show the whole page for 1 credit per display
- Banner: A graphic (468x60) shown on the bottom of the surf bar for 0.2
credits per display.
- Text Ad: A small block of text with title, content and a link shown on site for 0.1
credits per display.
- Mini-Banner: A graphic (88x31) shown on the on site for
credits per display.
- Banners, Text Ads and Mini-banners can also be used on outside Exchanges
- Non-Sites: Indicate if you want the ad (banner, text ad or mini-banner) to be shown on our outside Exchanges
- This shows your banner on other members' sites, getting your message out to more viewers, more often
- You must also set "allow banner exchange" in the Members/Your Info page, under Preferences
- Enter a brief description for the site... this is for your own reference, but other users may see it in their 'surf history' list.
- Provide the destination.
- Site: This is the page we will actually show to other webmasters
- Banner: This is the page the user will be taken to if they click on the banner
- Use the test link. This lets you make sure you've entered the URL correctly
- Select a banner link, if you wish
- A banner link will take the banner you choose, and always display it
when your site displays. This can improve the overall effect of your
presentation to the user.
- A banner must be approved before it will show up in the list of banner links
- Determine if you want this to be an 'exclusive' display
- For sites, "exclusive=yes" means the site will never be shown, unless
it's part of a Way Station
- For banners, "exclusive=yes" means the banner will only be
shown when a site calls it up by way of the banner link (above).
- Banner URL: This is the URL that tells us where on the internet the graphic resides.
- If you don't have a website, and wish to upload the banner, leave this
field blank, and edit the record after saving it.
- If you're not going to upload the banner, Use the test link.
This lets you make sure you've entered the URL correctly.
- Link Prompt: This is the text that appears if the user moves their mouse over your banner
Once you've put in all the information, click on 'Add this site or
banner'. If you get the message 'save succeeded', your ad is ready for
If you need to upload the banner graphic to our site. Return to the
Members/Manage Ads / Banners page, and click on the ID next to the banner you
added. When the edit screen comes up, blank out the field marked
"Banner URL", and click 'Save Changes'. You will then be prompted to
select the file from your computer and can then upload the file to us.
If everything worked okay, you should see the banner displayed on the
'save succeeded' page.
Step 3: We approve or warn the new site/banner entries
For the benefit of our surfers, we hand-check each site and banner for
compliance with our rules. When we do so, you will receive either an
Approval or a Warning email.
- If your site or banner has been approved, it immediately goes into the
- If you receive a warning, an explanation of what was wrong will be
found in the email. You can either fix the problem, or use the entry
for some other site or banner.
Step 4: Enjoy the new traffic from your approved sites
As long as you have credits, your site(s) and banner(s) will be displayed on
the surf system.
Step 5: Keep your credit balance up, for more consistent exposure
- Use our surf system to earn credits (Go to
Members/Your Info page, and see
the 'important links' section)
- Advertise our site, and receive credits for every 24-hour unique visitor
- Refer other members, and get sign-up bonuses when they confirm their email
- Purchase credits or professional membership at our